The Department of National Defense confirmed Thursday that Lt. Gen. Trevor Cadieu retired April 5 after more than 30 years in service, even as military police continue to investigate his conduct.
FCCmaterial or otherwise, granted to Mr. Cadieu since his departure with regard to his personal steps”,”text”:”There has been no support from the CAF, material or otherwise, granted to Mr. Cadieu since his departure with regard to his personal steps”}}”>There was no support from FCCmaterial or otherwise, granted to Mr. Cadieu since his departure with regard to his personal stepshe added.
Several defense sources say Mr Cadieu has since traveled to Ukraine to volunteer to fight the Russian invasion which is about to enter its third month. The sources were not authorized to comment publicly on his whereabouts.
Mr Cadieu, who has previously denied any wrongdoing, could not be reached for comment on the situation on Thursday while the Ministry of Defense declined to confirm his whereabouts.
As he is now a private citizen, it would be inappropriate for us to comment further on his personal plans.said Mr. Le Bouthillier.
The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service (
The release of a member does not affect investigative work, nor does his or her personal travel.
Defense officials have previously said that members of theFCC could be charged for crimes allegedly committed while in uniform, even after retirement.
About to lead the Canadian army
Mr. Cadieu’s sudden retirement and departure comes more than six months after the popular officer was set to take command of the Canadian Army, with some military insiders predicting his eventual appointment as head of state- Major of Defense.
Chief of Defense General Wayne Eyre instead quietly suspended Mr Cadieu’s installation as army commander in September after being told the
historical claims of sexual misconduct.
Following the announcement of Mr. Cadieu’s departure, Mr. Eyre announced Thursday that he had named Lieutenant-General Jocelyn (Joe) Paul as the next commander of the Canadian Army.
The Canadian Army is without a permanent commander
The Canadian Army has been without a permanent commander since February 2021, when Mr. Eyre was tapped to serve as acting chief of staff, while Admiral Art McDonald, then chief of defense, was the subject of an investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct.
Although Mr. McDonald has not been charged, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has chosen to permanently replace him with Mr. Eyre. Major General Michel-Henri St-Louis has been acting army commander since April 2021.
Mr Eyre also announced the imminent retirement of Royal Canadian Navy Commander Vice-Admiral Craig Baines, who was criticized last July for playing golf with retired defense chief Jonathan Vance while Mr Vance was under police investigation.
Mr Baines, who had apologized and been kept on as naval commander, promising to make the most of his second chance, will be replaced by Rear Admiral Angus Topshee.
A series of allegations
Mr. Cadieu is one of several senior commanders to have been investigated by military police for alleged sexual misconduct over the past year.
These allegations have forced the military to realize its inability to address inappropriate behavior. They have also sparked criticism of the Liberal government’s handling of the issue and calls for better external oversight of the military.
Mr. Cadieu strenuously denied any wrongdoing in a statement last fall, saying:
The allegations are false, but they need to be thoroughly investigated to expose the truth. He said he provided information to investigators to prove his innocence.
The retired officer also said at the time that he asked Mr. Eyre to choose someone else to serve as Commander of the Canadian Army, adding:
I know that these misrepresentations will, as expected, create doubts about my ability to lead in this environment.
Mr. Cadieu’s decision to travel to Ukraine follows an order from Mr. Eyre prohibiting serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces from joining the thousands of foreigners who have flocked to the country in recent weeks to help fight the Russian invasion.
Russia has reportedly threatened criminal prosecution for any foreigner caught fighting in Ukraine, while a senior Canadian officer last month raised the specter of an attempt by Moscow to use captured foreign fighters for propaganda purposes.