Home LATEST NEWS Libyan court restores son Gaddafi’s presidential candidacy

Libyan court restores son Gaddafi’s presidential candidacy

107
0

The information, reported by several Libyan media, was confirmed by theAFP with the entourage of the candidate, who had appealed earlier in the day before this court against the decision of the Electoral Authority to reject his candidacy for non-compliance with the provisions of the law.

It is first of all a victory for justice, and then that of the will of the people., welcomed his lawyer Khaled al-Zaydi, after the hearing.

Seif al-Islam Gadhafi, 49, was sentenced to death in 2015 after a hasty trial, before being granted an amnesty. Disappeared from public life, he submitted his candidacy in mid-November, relying on the support of those nostalgic for the old regime, disappointed by an endless political transition against a backdrop of chaos.

The court decision gave rise on Thursday to scenes of jubilation in front of the court in Sebha, a semi-desert town located some 650 kilometers south of Tripoli, where dozens of the candidate’s supporters were gathered, according to media images.

It comes after a series of incidents which for several days prevented Gaddafi’s son from appealing the rejection of his candidacy, announced on November 24.

Supporters of eastern strongman Khalifa Haftar, himself a candidate, blocked access to the court for a week, prompting great concern within the interim government, but also at the United Nations (UN).

These armed men finally withdrew from the perimeter of the court on Thursday, allowing the three magistrates and the lawyer for Seif al-Islam to enter the building.

The electoral process is killing three birds with one stone: discrediting theUN, Libyan justice and the elections.

A quote from Emadeddin Badi, expert at the Global Initiative based in Geneva

Elections amid tensions

The culmination of a laborious process sponsored by theUN, the presidential election of December 24, and the legislative elections scheduled a month later, are supposed to turn the page on a decade of conflict since the fall in 2011 of the regime of Muammar Gaddafi, killed during a popular revolt.

If Libya is engaged in the home stretch of the presidential election, crucial for the future of this North African country, the persistence of disagreements between rival camps and tensions on the ground cast doubt on its holding.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres stressed on Wednesday that the elections should not be part of the problem, while the President of the Security Council considered that the conditions were not met for a democratic election.

Tensions have been increasing for several weeks: at the end of September, the Parliament based in Tobruk (East) voted a motion of censure against the interim executive, responsible for leading the country towards the elections, taking the risk of torpedoing the process.

For the international community, the holding of the presidential and legislative elections is essential to pacify the country which has the most abundant oil reserves in Africa.

Among the most prominent presidential candidates are the head of the interim government, Abdelhamid Dbeibah, Marshal Khalifa Haftar, who de facto controls eastern and part of southern Libya, as well as the influential ex-minister of Libya. Interior, Fathi Bachagha.

Seif al-Islam, him, represents a group nostalgic for the reign of his father. Those who toppled the old regime clearly want to prevent him from running and he is wanted by the International Criminal Court, said Thursday at theAFP Amanda Kadlec, former member of theUN on Libya.

While waiting for the poll, some 2.4 million Libyans have recovered their voting cards, out of a population of 7 million, according to the electoral commission. Not without hitches: on social networks, some claimed not to have found their cards, recovered, according to them, by others, fueling suspicions of fraud.

The electoral commission said more than 2,300 voter cards were stolen from five polling stations by armed men in the west, notably in Tripoli. These thefts took place on Wednesday, the day marking the end of the delivery of voter cards in the polling stations.

Previous articleStudent kills three classmates at Michigan school
Next articleQuebec urges hospitals to reduce waiting lists for surgery