Ontario Deputy Premier and Minister of Health Sylvia Jones made the announcement Thursday as she released an update to her
Plan to stay open the first version of which was unveiled in March 2022.
The plan also includes adding 6,000 health care workers to the province’s system by temporarily waiving exam and certification fees for internationally trained and retired nurses.
Sylvia Jones said she is expecting a plan this Thursday from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, as well as the College of Nurses of Ontario, on how they intend to expedite the applications of these professionals who are still waiting to be accredited and licensed in Ontario.
” Many elements are part of this plan and are not yet complete. »
The province also wants to give paramedics the ability to treat patients so they get
better and more appropriate care away from the emergency department. She also hopes to create 2,500 hospital beds to significantly reduce the current shortage in hospitals.
Last week, Jones and Premier Doug Ford said the province was exploring all options to improve the health care system, and were not ruling out greater private sector involvement, though they said Ontarians would not have to pay out of pocket.
Emergency departments in some Ontario hospitals closed for hours and even days this summer due to a severe shortage of nurses.
Strong criticism from nurses
This is a blatant move that will line the pockets of investors, nothing morecriticized the president of the Ontario Nurses Association (ONA) Cathryn Hoy.
confusing the fact that the plan also includes measures to support emergency department doctors, but not nurses.
The government missed a golden opportunity to boost pay for nurses as a key part of retention and recruitment to limit further closures.
innovativedepending on the province
Minister Jones said at a press conference that Ontario must show
audacity, innovation and creativity in its research to improve its health system.
There are those who will fight for the status quo, no matter whatdid she say.
They are ideologically opposed to change or improvements. We will not accept this. We cannot accept it. People want better health care.
The latter, however, did not respond directly to a question about whether it would consider allowing more private clinics in Ontario.
” Health care will continue to be provided to the people of Ontario through their health card. »
We see the value in some of these independent health facilities that have existed in the province of Ontario for decades to ease the pressure on our partners in health care and many of these independent health facilities have agreements and work directly with their local community hospital.
temporary in long-term care
On long-term care, the government plans to introduce legislation today that will allow patients waiting for a bed to be transferred to a home
temporary waiting for a place in their favorite home. In addition, 300 beds that had been used to isolate patients with COVID-19 will be made available to people on waiting lists.
NDP health critic France Gélinas says the province would be better off bolstering the home care system with more full-time personal support workers.
Giving people a choice of where they want to be is respecting themshe told reporters after Ms Jones’ announcement.
The opposition MP also argues that the first available beds would likely be
in a private for-profit homesome of whom were the subject of a scathing military report in 2020 after suffering some of the worst outbreaks of COVID-19 in the province.
” Now hospitals will have the right to put a ton of pressure on you and your family to move you to the first available bed, not the bed of your choice… That’s disrespectful, that’s not how health care health should work. »
According to Long-Term Care Minister Paul Calandra, the legislation would not force anyone to leave hospital against their will, but
would keep the conversation going.
With information from the Canadian Press