Home LATEST NEWS Prince Andrew wants to drop sexual assault complaint

Prince Andrew wants to drop sexual assault complaint

76
0

A crucial hearing is scheduled for 10 a.m. EST by videoconference between a judge in Manhattan federal court, lawyers for Queen Elizabeth’s second son and those for accuser and alleged victim of Andrew, Virginia Giuffre , 38 years old.

In her civil complaint filed in August, Ms Giuffre claims the prince has sexually assaulted three times in 2001 – when she was 17 and her name was Virginia Roberts – in London, New York and the U.S. Virgin Islands, residences of friends of Andrew, the couple formed at the time by the American multimillionaire Jeffrey Epstein and British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell.

Epstein, a sexual predator of underage girls and a figure in the international jet set, committed suicide in prison in Manhattan in August 2019, at age 66, before his trial for sex crimes. His companion and accomplice for three decades, Ghislaine Maxwell, 60, has been in prison since the summer of 2020, was found guilty last week in New York of sex trafficking of adolescents for the benefit of Epstein and incurs dozens of years of imprisonment.

Virginia Giuffre, who was not a plaintiff in the Maxwell trial, welcomed the judgment and said she hoped others accountable, referring to Andrew.

The prince’s lawyers have been doing everything for six months to block the complaint of Ms Giuffre – who seeks financial compensation – and should plead before the judge that she is legally unfounded.

Agreement between Jeffrey Epstein and the woman who pursues Prince Andrew unveiled

The prince, 61, who is not being prosecuted, denies categorically assaulting Virginia Roberts at the time and even claims not to remember this young girl.

At the civil level, his lawyers believe he could escape justice thanks to an agreement sealed in 2009 between Epstein and Virginia Giuffre, who was also an alleged victim of the financier.

On Monday, New York judges released the previously confidential settlement under which Ms. Giuffre had received $ 500,000 from Epstein. And according to this transaction signed in Florida 12 years ago, Virginia Giuffre promised not to sue Epstein orother potential defendants in his entourage.

The Duke of York’s name or royal title is not mentioned in this contract document, but Andrew’s defense believes it protects Epstein and all his relatives, and therefore the prince.

On the contrary, Virginia Giuffre’s lawyers counter that Andrew is not covered by this agreement which do not quote it and which he didn’t even know in 2009.

In addition, the Manhattan judge has already rejected on December 31 another nullity request made by Andrew, on the grounds that Ms. Giuffre could not file a complaint in the United States, because she resides in Australia.

Towards a civil trial?

If all of the prince’s appeals fail, a civil lawsuit could be held between September and December 2022, the New York judge said this fall.

Finally, Ms. Giuffre’s lawyers demand that the prince produce a medical certificate attesting that his body does not sweat, that he is never sweaty.

Indeed, in his last interview with the BBC in November 2019, deemed calamitous, he had denied having danced sweaty with Virginia Giuffre at a London nightclub over 20 years ago, as she had recounted. The prince would suffer from an impossibility of sweating since the Falklands War in 1982, when his body would have secreted too much adrenaline.

Widely distributed, a number of photos attest to the proximity between Andrew, Epstein, Maxwell and Giuffre. In particular a snapshot from 2000 showing the American financier, the British socialite and the prince on a hunting trip in the east of England. Another photo shows Andrew and Giuffre holding each other at the waist, all smiles, with Maxwell in the background.

For more than two years, the Maxwell-Epstein sex scandal has plunged him into turmoil and forced him to retire from public life.

Previous articleVenezuela: Guaido confirmed as interim president by the opposition
Next articleCOVID-19: the duration of isolation will be reduced to five days in Quebec | Coronavirus