dead and 117injured”,”text”:”The Ministry of Health has confirmed at this stage [le bilan de] 21dead and 117injured”}}”>The Ministry of Health has confirmed at this stage [le bilan de] 21 dead and 117 injured in the attack on the Hayat Hotel in the Somali capital which began on Friday evening, Minister Ali Haji Adan said.
On Sunday, relatives of those missing in the attack were awaiting news from relatives following the attack that combined a bomb blast and gunshots carried out by Islamist Shabab, an Al-affiliated group. Qaeda.
Rescuers were trying to find possible survivors among the rubble on Sunday morning, journalists from theAFPwhile the surroundings of the hotel with closed access were calm and experts were working to detect possible explosives.
The hotel suffered heavy damage during the standoff between Shabab and security forces, with parts of the building collapsing.
This attack, claimed by the Shabab, is the most serious in Mogadishu since the entry into office of the new president Hassan Sheikh Mohamud in June, after months of political instability. It highlights the challenge posed to him by the Islamist insurrection, which has lasted for 15 years against the federal government.
Police Commissioner Abdi Hassan Mohamed Hijar told reporters on Sunday thatpeople, including women and children”,”text”:”106people, including women and children”}}”>106 people, including women and childrenwere rescued by security forces during the siege that ended around midnight.
The victims were affected mainly in the first hours of the attackhe added.
Shabab spokesman Abdiaziz Abu-Musab said on their station, Radio Andalus, on Saturday that the group had
inflicted heavy losses to the security forces.
According to a woman witness, Hayat Ali, three children from the same family, aged four to seven, were found by the security forces, in a state of shock, hiding in the hotel toilets.
On Sunday morning, dozens of people looking for news of their relatives were gathered in the street leading to the hotel, but were blocked from a distance by the security forces.
Muktar Adan, a businessman whose brother was in the hotel on Friday night, told theAFP
My brother was in the hotel when we last heard from him, but his phone is off now and we don’t know what to expecthe said.
Said Nurow explains he is worried about his friend who was staying in the hotel.
I hope […] that he is alive, he was staying at the hotel according to the latest information received from his sisterhe told theAFP .
The hotel, where many people were staying at the time of the attack, was a popular meeting place for government officials.
Attack unanimously condemned
Somalia’s allies, including the United States, United Kingdom and Turkey, as well as theUNstrongly condemned the attack.
We express our sincere condolences to the families who lost loved ones, wish a full recovery to the injured and commend the Somali security forcesthe US State Department said.
The Shabab were driven out of Somalia’s main cities, including Mogadishu in 2011, but remain entrenched in large rural areas. In recent months, they have intensified their attacks.
On Wednesday, the American army announced that it had killed in an airstrike 13 Shabab militiamen who were attacking soldiers of the Somali regular forces in a remote area of this country in the Horn of Africa.
In May, US President Joe Biden decided to re-establish a military presence in Somalia to fight the Shabab there, approving a request from the Pentagon which deemed the rotation system decided by his predecessor Donald Trump at the end of his term too risky and ineffective. mandate.
Somalia’s new president Hassan Sheikh Mohamoud said last month that a military approach is insufficient to end the Shabab insurgency.
In early August, Prime Minister Hamza Abdi Barre announced the appointment of a former Shabab leader turned politician as Minister of Religious Affairs. Muktar Robow, alias Abu Mansour, publicly defected in August 2017 from the movement he helped found.