The judge overseeing the investigation into the assassination of President Jovenel Moïse last July said on Friday that he was withdrawing from the case, amplifying the confusion surrounding the investigations into this crime which has rocked the Caribbean country and exacerbated political tensions. and safe.
Appointed last August to head the investigation into the assassination of the Head of State in his private residence by a commando of mercenaries, Garry Orelien has made it known that his request to extend his mandate, which expired last month , had been rejected.
He wrote, in a letter of which Reuters was able to consult a copy, which he
gave up under investigation for
Contacted by Reuters, Garry Orelien confirmed by telephone to have written the document. He declined to answer any further questions.
Still no charges
The investigation did not result in any charges against the dozens of suspects arrested by the Haitian police. Earlier this week, Garry Orelien blamed the lack of progress on inadequate support from other Haitian institutions.
Bernard Saint-Vil, at the head of the court in the capital Port-au-Prince which charged Garry Orelien with the investigation, said in an interview with local radio on Tuesday that the judge had been removed from the case for not not completing the investigation within the time limit. He did not respond to requests for comment.