Home LATEST NEWS The saga surrounding Novak Djokovic continues in Melbourne

The saga surrounding Novak Djokovic continues in Melbourne

258
0

We come to support him because it is our Christmas and he is going through a difficult time.

Like Sash Aleksic, a supporter of Djoker, around 50 people gathered on Friday in front of an establishment used by the government to hold illegal people and where the Serbian player is believed to be, even though his presence has not been officially confirmed.

There would obviously be a lot more people if people didn’t have family obligations today., assures Sash Aleksic. Among the demonstrators: activists defending the rights of migrants and anti-vaccine or supporters of the player.

The Serb was placed in detention after the cancellation of his visa to enter Australia, on the night of Wednesday to Thursday, on the grounds that he did not meet the strict conditions for entry into the territory imposed as part of the the fight against COVID-19.

Most foreigners are not allowed to travel to Australia, and those who can must be fully immunized. Only Australian nationals can benefit from a medical exemption, such as the one used by the world no.1 when he left for Melbourne.

According to the Australian government, the papers of the 34-year-old player, who had opposed compulsory vaccination and whose vaccination status is unknown, did not meet the required conditions. He was therefore placed in detention pending his deportation.

Read:  Fight against cancer: "Quebec has not taken enough steps"

Thursday, in Belgrade, the family of the player had already organized a demonstration of support for his protégé.

Without containing his fury, the player’s father, Srdjan Djokovic, addressed the crowd gathered in Belgrade to denounce a political witch hunt and one corona-fascism.

Jesus was crucified and subjected to many things, but he held and is still alive among us., the player’s father said on the eve of Orthodox Christmas. Novak is also crucified in the same way, he, the best athlete and man in the world.

Serbian President himself, Aleksandar Vucic, on Thursday denounced a political hunt targeting Novak Djokovic.

On the Australian side, however, the feeling is quite different. Many residents of the country, who have endured nearly two years of travel bans and months of lockdown, did not hide their anger when they learned the player was taking advantage of a waiver.

Several players have also expressed their questions about the exemption obtained by Djokovic, but he was able to count on Friday on the rather unexpected support of Nick Kyrgios.

I got the vaccine because of others and for my mother’s health, but the way we are dealing with Novak’s situation is bad, really bad, said the Australian star, who was however very critical when Djokovic organized in June 2020, at the start of the pandemic, a Adria Tour ignoring all health precautionary measures.

Read:  Canada would have a lot to gain from the new US climate law

Djokovic had landed in Melbourne on Wednesday hoping to defend his title at the Australian Open (Jan. 17-30) and win a record-breaking 21st grand slam title.

He will not be deported until Monday, the date scheduled for a new hearing before a judge in Melbourne.

Two other people who came to participate in the Australian Open are also the subject of an investigation, also confirmed the Minister of the Interior Karen Andrews.

The latter also denied allegations that the champion was being held against his will: He is free to leave whenever he wishes and the border guards will facilitate his departure.

Serbian politicians competed with nationalist comments to defend their champion. In addition, the Australian Conservative Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, already in difficulty, must face questions about the management of the incident in the run-up to the elections.

Scott Morrison has denied revoking Djokovic’s visa at the last minute.

John Findley, an Australian immigration lawyer, claimed that if the court found that the player had provided false information in order to obtain his visa, he would be barred from further applying for an Australian visa during three years.

Previous articleBringing virtual reality to life, a project for the metaverse
Next articleSidney Poitier, the first black man to receive the Oscar for best actor, is dead